LANSING, Mich. — The owner of a northern Michigan vape shop sued Wednesday to stop the state's ban on flavored electronic cigarettes, contending the rules are illegal and will force him to close his store.
Mark Slis, who operates 906 Vapor in Houghton, filed the lawsuit in Houghton County Circuit Court. It is believed to be the first of what could be several legal challenges against the ban that was announced by Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.
The emergency rules were issued a week ago, and retailers must comply starting Oct. 2.
Slis said at least 80% of his inventory is prohibited under the ban, and his business cannot survive without selling flavored vaping products.
"The emergency rules fail to take into consideration the impact banning flavored vapor products will have on the overall Michigan population, including adult former smokers like me," he wrote in an affidavit attached to the suit, which seeks an injunction. He noted that selling e-cigarettes to minors already is illegal, and that his shop routinely checks the ID of any customer who appears to be under age 30.
The suit contends that the rules are procedurally and substantially invalid, and that officials should not have circumvented the regular rule-making process. Slis say the state cannot prohibit adult use for "an extremely narrow subgroup of the public" and argues that many of the estimated 500,000 users of vaping products in Michigan rely on them to quit smoking tobacco.
Michigan, New York and Rhode Island have recently banned flavored vaping products in response to an explosion in teen vaping in recent years. President Donald Trump said this month that the federal government would act to prohibit thousands of flavors used in e-cigarettes because they appeal to underage users.
Juul Labs Inc., the nation's largest e-cigarette maker, said Wednesday it would stop advertising its products in the U.S. and replace its chief executive. That news comes amid a crackdown on vaping after a recent outbreak of lung illnesses, including 10 reported deaths. No major e-cigarette company, including Juul, has been tied to the ailments.
Recent surveys found one in four high school seniors reported that they had vaped nicotine in the month before they were asked about it.
Whitmer has accused companies of using candy flavors and deceptive advertising to "hook children on nicotine." Her spokeswoman Tiffany Brown declined to comment on the suit but said Whitmer "is fully committed to protecting children and public health."
The state Department of Health and Human Services, which issued the rules at Whitmer's direction, is named as the defendant in the case.
An earlier version of this story was corrected to fix the spelling of Marc Slis' first name, which had been misspelled "Mark."
Follow David Eggert on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DavidEggert00
周三，密歇根北部一家 vape 商店的老板提起诉讼，要求停止该州对调味电子香烟的禁令，声称这些规定是非法的，并将迫使他关闭自己的商店。
Mark Slis 在 Houghton 经营着906个 Vapor ，他向 Houghton 郡巡回法院提起了诉讼。据信，这是民主党政府宣布的针对禁令的几项法律挑战中的第一项。格雷琴·惠特默。
密歇根州，纽约和罗德岛最近禁止口味的 vaping 产品，以应对青少年 vaping 在最近几年的爆炸。美国总统唐纳德·特朗普本月表示，联邦政府将采取行动，禁止在电子香烟中使用数千种口味，因为它们会吸引未成年用户。
美国最大的电子香烟制造商 Juul Labs Inc .周三表示，将停止在美国为其产品做广告，并更换首席执行长。这一消息发布之际，正值最近一次肺部疾病爆发（包括10例死亡病例）之后，中国政府打击了对吸毒者的打击。包括朱鲁在内，没有一家大型电子烟公司与这些疾病有关。
根据惠特默的指示，美国卫生与公众服务部（ StateDepartmentofHealth and HumanServices ）发布了相关规定，在该案中被指定为被告。
这个故事的早期版本被修正为修正了 MarcSlis 的名字拼写，这个名字被拼写为“ Mark ”。
在 Twitter 上关注 David Eggert ： https://twitter 。com / DavidEggert00